Passion cannot be taught. Superior Performance grows naturally out of love for and joy in what you are doing. To excel in any challenging pursuit, you must first have a heartfelt vision. You need a reason powerful enough to keep you pursuing your goals through the adversities and the opportunities.
Most individuals and organizations define themselves by What they do – “we sell products”, “win sporting events” or “fight for human rights.” In fact, these are simply the tangible proof of something deeper – a single vision that unites these interests or activities. In an attempt to further distinguish ourselves, we explain How we do What we do; perhaps by pointing to particular skill sets or experiences.
Defining ourselves by What our past results have been and How talented we think we are does not separate us from our competition. Worse, it does not begin to describe Why we do what we do, Who we are or what our core values and guiding principles are.
Knowing our Why, our Clear Vision, describes the reasons we do what we do, it becomes our “be-cause” (our cause to be) that creates a sum greater than its parts. It transforms the “me” into “we.” When our Why is clear and we are disciplined in How we pursue it and we are consistent in What we achieve, the world will get to know Who we truly are.
If this happens, a motivating team environment emerges, facilitating sustainable growth that transcends the “we” into “one.” More and more people become attracted to join your “be-cause” and that is when you know you are achieving sustainable Superior Performance.
Benefits from the Clear Vision
• Clarify your vision, purpose, your “be-cause,” the single most motivating “call for action”
• Define your core beliefs, values and guiding principles
• Determine the specific actions required to realize your Unifying Vision
• Discover what value you have to contribute to your community and why they should care
• Create a meaningful culture that others can stand on to reach new heights in the future
• Find that little something extra that gives you an advantage over your competition
• Unite your “we” into “One”